Aging is like the rants from your ultra conservative next door neighbor — ongoing and unrelenting. As your collagen production drops and drops, it’s easy to see why your skin becomes more and more wrinkly. Some wrinkles are more noxious than others. This definitely can be said of smile and marionette lines. But Dr. Lavey can help you take the fight to those wrinkles with Radiesse volumizing filler.
You’ve probably heard of fillers such as Restylane, but you may not know about Radiesse. Radiesse is a long-lasting, popular option at Dr. Lavey’s for our patients with the smile and marionette lines, and other problems resulting from volume loss.
How does Radiesse work?
Fillers such as Juvederm are hyaluronic acid fillers (where hyaluronic acid binds with water molecules to plump and hydrate the skin); Radiesse is different. It is comprised of calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA) microspheres suspended in an aqueous gel carrier.
Radiesse has both short-term and long-term results. First, the aqueous gel instantly fills the area when injected beneath a crease or wrinkle. That’s the first part of its function. From there, the hydroxylapatite microspheres stimulate the body to produce new collagen in the injection area. This occurs in the weeks following your injection, and the results last for up to 18 months. So, while most fillers lose their function once the body absorbs them, Radiesse, because it initiates the building of new collagen, continues to show its effects even after the microspheres and gel are absorbed.
What does it work on?
Radiesse is a volumizing filler, meaning it is effective for replacing volume and for deeper wrinkles such as those around the mouth. These are the issues that Dr. Lavey uses Radiesse to address:
- Smile lines— Also known as nasolabial folds, these lines run from the nose down to the corners of the mouth. They are the result of decreasing facial volume and skin elasticity that comes with aging. These creases can be some of the deepest on the entire human body.
- Marionette lines — While these lines may be necessary for ventriloquist dummies, you don’t want them! These lines run straight downward from the corners of the mouth and can make you look unhappy. These also result from decreasing volume.
- Corners of the mouth— Also known as oral commissures, the corners of your mouth can turn downward as you age and lose volume below the mouth. This phenomenon can make you look as if you’re frowning or mad.
- Pre-jowl area— The areas on each side of the chin, the pre-jowl sulcus, can hollow out due to sagging in other areas of the lower face.
- Chin wrinkles— Chin wrinkles form horizontally across the chin and can be distracting to a person talking to you. Volume loss in the lower face again is the culprit.
Radiesse could be a great solution to some of your facial aging. Call Dr. Lavey at 925-820-3633 to make an appointment.
No comments yet.