The abundance of eye creams and serums is proof that people are bothered by the overall appearance of their eyes. The problem is, these products usually have only minimal effect; anti-aging products may help firm up or smooth the skin around the eye area but they cannot completely reverse the signs of aging.
This is where blepharoplasty, informally known as eyelid surgery, comes in. Blepharoplasty is performed to lift drooping eyelids by removing or redraping excess skin and repositioning fat around the eye area. Over the past year, eyelid surgery has soared in popularity and many of our patients have benefitted from the procedure. They were also impressed with how relatively easy and fast the process is — Dr. Lavey performs eyelid surgery in 60 minutes or less!
What you do during recovery from eyelid surgery is crucial to achieving your desired outcomes. The following steps significantly contribute to quick healing and hassle-free recovery after blepharoplasty:
- Keep your head in an elevated position for the first three to four days following surgery. This will help reduce swelling, which can persist for a week post-procedure.
- Cold compresses during the first 24 hours after surgery can help reduce bruising.
- Be sure to use the prescribed eye drops or ointment to help reduce your risk of infection.
- Blurred or double vision is normal during the first few days after surgery. Some may experience excessive tearing and extreme sensitivity to light. Staying out of bright light is wise.
- Discomfort at the incision site is normal during the first few days. Wearing sunglasses may help reduce such discomfort.
- Tiny whitehead-like cysts may appear on or near the incision site. They will typically disappear in a few weeks without special treatment.
Recovery from eyelid surgery varies from one patient to another. Some may experience normal vision and a significant reduction in swelling or bruising in a couple of weeks while others may have to wait for months before they feel completely comfortable going out without concealer makeup or sunglasses.
A personal consultation with Dr. Lavey is your first step to figuring out if you’re an ideal candidate for eyelid surgery. Call 925.820.3633 or fill out our contact form to set up an appointment today!