By and large, varicose veins are a result of damaged or weak valves in your veins (the blood vessels that are responsible in carrying blood towards the heart for oxygenation). The valves in your veins act as one-way flaps that prevent blood from going backwards due to gravity as it moves up your legs.
Here at our Danville cosmetic surgery practice, one of the most common questions concerning the appearance of varicose veins include why it is more prominent in some individuals in comparison to others. While most people will most likely point out to genetics, below are the other factors that increase one’s risk of developing varicose veins:
- Age – The older you get, the more likely you’ll have varicose veins.
- History of having weak valves in your veins or similar conditions during childhood.
- Hormonal shifts in women which tend to peak during adolescence, pregnancy, and menopause.
- Use of birth control pills and other medications that can affect hormone levels, particularly estrogen and progesterone.
- Lack of movement and physical activity, particularly sitting or standing for longer periods of time.
- Being overweight as the extra pounds could put extra pressure to your veins.
Varicose Vein Treatment in Danville, Berkeley and Pleasanton
If you’ve done almost everything to reduce the appearance of varicose veins, sclerotherapy sessions here at our practice may just be the solution you’re looking for. Call 925.820.3633 or fill out this contact form to set up an appointment. We look forward to helping you improve your appearance and quality of life at the same time.
No comments yet.