Youthful skin is often perceived as firm, taut, and smooth while flabby skin have always been associated with aging. Apart from the normal aging process, factors such as massive weight loss, pregnancy, frequent sun exposure, and genetics also play a role in the development of skin laxity. Although most people might consider accepting the fact that sagging skin is inevitable, there are actually steps or measures that you can take to delay or reduce their appearance.
Knowledge of what exactly causes your skin to sag is one of the essential components in coming up with a skin tightening treatment plan that will work for you. We outline the most common causes of skin laxity below!
- Loss of collagen and elastin – Both collagen and elastin are types of protein that are abundant in the skin’s connective tissues such as tendons and ligaments. They are responsible for allowing the skin to return to its original taut appearance after being stretched. As one ages, the body gradually dwindles its production of collagen and elastin.
- Sun exposure – It has been repeatedly found out in studies that frequent exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation slows down the synthesis of new collagen and elastin. Individuals who are frequently exposed to UV radiation often exhibit early signs of premature aging such as the appearance of wrinkles, folds, and lines.
- Smoking – Aside from the ill effects of smoking to one’s health, certain chemicals in cigarette smoke causes constriction of the blood vessels resulting to reduced blood flow and nutrient delivery to majority of the tissues in the body. The results of a study between smoker and non-smoker twins last year revealed that smokers tend to display early signs of aging than those who don’t smoke or smoked later in life.
- Diet and Hydration – As the largest organ in the body, the state of your skin reflects what what you put on your body such as what you eat and what you drink. A diet full of junk food, soft drinks, and highly processed foods will certainly strip your skin of the nutrients that is responsible for making it appear glowing and naturally youthful.
- Weight fluctuations – Massive weight gain and pregnancy may leave the skin overly stretched. Once the extra weight has been lost, the overly stretched skin may not return to the body’s original contours.
- Genetics – If premature appearance of sagging skin runs in your family, there’s a huge chance you’ll have the same fate, too.
End Your Excess Skin Woes Once and For All!
Except for genetics, the aforementioned factors in skin laxity can actually be controlled. However, if moderate to severe appearance of skin laxity already exists, we invite you to get in touch with us for a personal consultation. A personalized skin laxity treatment plan will be created based on the current state of your skin, cosmetic goals, and existing lifestyle.
Call 925.820.3633 or fill out this contact form today to set up an appointment with us! We look forward to your visit!